Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Politics 101: Sarah Palin

Politics is not a popularity contest. As long as the lowest common denominator of people are voting with the candidate that emotionally resonates with them, the lowest common denominator will be emotionally running this country.

I want a woman in the White House, but I don't think Sarah Palin should be that woman. My choice has nothing to do with Palin's personal life. My choice is based on her politics.
I support any woman with a desire for both family and career. I am one of those women. But a Vice Presidential election is not about supporting one woman's personal freedoms, it's about choosing the best person to represent the greatest number of people and all our personal freedoms.

Sure, I saw the likeability factor in Sarah Palin with her "The only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull is lipstick" comment. Most women can relate to that kind of mama bear mentality. But when I take that into consideration with her support of killing wolves for sport* it gives me an uneasy feeling. Pair that with the pit-bull/lipstick remark and it gives a whole new meaning to a wolf in sheep's clothes. This is not the particular feminine influence I was hoping for with a woman in the White House.

When I contemplate McCain's anger issues and Palin's raw readiness to fight I see red flag danger, more war, and bad cop — bad cop. Who is the peace keeper in this duo?
I implore all women who plan to vote to make sure they are standing up for the greatest good and not just a politician they can finally emotionally relate to.

You can like Sarah Palin as a person and support her as a woman without voting her into office and jeopardizing your and others' reproductive and personal freedoms, environmental protections, health care, children's education, foreign affairs, economy, and world peace**.

Source
*http://www.alternet.org/environment/97207/sarah_palin's_big,_sleazy_safari/?page=1
** http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-oe-steinem42008sep04,0,2288253.story

Originally Published by BettyConfidential.com October, 2007